This page's main content:
2007.02.07 - DEMONSTRATION NOTICE: In the event of an actual emergency, this 'notice' box will appear on the home page of the emergency site http://emergency.unomaha.edu. The notice will include official communication and instruction relative to the emergency situation. Other channels for emergency information are listed below.
EMERGENCY ALERT CAPABILITIES
During an emergency, UNO may use several
resources to disseminate critical emergency information and instructions to the
UNO Students, Faculty, Staff and visitors to the UNO campus. The method may
vary and depend upon the critically and time sensitivity of the event.
Please note that the 4-2911 telephone
number is for reporting emergencies only. Information about an emergency
situation will be available from one of the sources below.
- Audio Announcement System - A dedicated audio announcement system
exists is each building and in every student housing suite. In many locations,
there is also a visual alert indication instructing hearing impaired to seek help.
This system, because of their immediacy and proximity, will be utilized in many
potential emergency situations. Alerts and instructions will be controlled by
- Personal Computer Scroll - Emergency and alert messages will be transmitted to all PCs on the UNO network. The alert message appears in a new window and will scroll across the screen until the emergency announcement is terminated by UNO Security. PC Alert activates each time your PC is turned on. An indication of its activation is reflected in the lower right hand corner of your PC with an icon designated as MessageNet PC Alert.
- UNO Enotes - In most situations, UNO’s Enotes will be used to
communicate emergency information to the campus community.
- UNO Lotus Notes - Where the information is not time sensitive, a
broadcast Email message will be sent to the official Email address of students,
faculty and staff.
Emergency reports may also be available through KVNO (90.7 FM),
KFAB (1110 AM) or KKAR (1290AM) radio stations.
SMS TEXT MESSAGING
- UNO provides access to an off-site, mass notification system that
will disseminate emergency message via the SMS Text message capabilities of
commercial wireless. This is a voluntary, 'opt-in' capability that will require
your individual action to subscribe. The link to this service is https://ebruno.unomaha.edu/ans/login.php
DURING AN EMERGENCY
emergency situation involving the campus, UNO Security will follow procedures
that have been pre-defined for the specific events, such as,
- Weather (severe storms, tornados, ice/snow closings)
- Environmental (hazardous, chemical spills, utility troubles)
- Civil Disturbance (riots, shooters).
necessary, UNO’s Incident Command Organization may dictate and supplement these
procedures as circumstance warrant.
will act as the initial focal point for dissemination of information. UNO
University Relations will lead the communications responses subsequent to the
initial emergency message. UNO University Relations will factually assess the
situation, develop the necessary communication response and determine the
appropriate method for message distribution. The goal throughout the incident
is to provide accurate, timely information to maximize personal safety,
minimize rumors and restore order.